Saturday, October 20, 2007

A Trojan with a giant Achilles tendon

20 October 2007
1:59 PM

That's how the guy in this video referred to them - as a huge Achilles tendon.

Well, I got my Powerizers exactly a week after I ordered them, on Tuesday. They are really hard to use, haha. Something about the way they're positioned causes them to knock into each other every once in awhile. Also, you have to make sure to lift your foot high when you take steps, because if your foot's too low, it's kinda like dragging your foot, but the foot of the Powerizer will catch the ground and result in a stumble. Those are the main reasons I've fallen on them so far. I took them on campus for the first time on Thursday afternoon. A few people asked about them, which was cool. On the way back, going though the parking lot, I figured I had space, so I'd try to get a small run in. Well, that ended up being a bad idea, because like I said, something got caught up in the middle of it and I toppled over pretty hard. I found out that when I fall, I turn onto my left side, haha. Right now, I have bruises on the palms of both of my hands, my left elbow, and the under-side of my right knee and I have both scabs and bruises on my left knee and my left shoulder. I'm gonna wait for those to heal, and for my protective gear to show up, before I try anything else on them. My parents gave me $200 to buy gear, and I spent about $150 on some stuff at http://www.getjumpingstilts.com/, but I need to find a couple more things too, like wrist guards and maybe even shoulder pads.

The other guy I know at USC with a pair of Powerizers sent me a video last night of him at the track field learning front flips on his. His look a lot easier for him to bounce on than mine are. Hopefully mine get broken in soon, because I can hardly bounce on mine right now.

I'm really gonna have to watch myself on these things. I just turned on the TV and caught the end of a program before the football game. The program was about a BMX biker who bailed during a competition and ended up a quadriplegic. It made me think about how something like that can happen at any time. If I'm not careful in what I do, tumbling or using my Powerizers, I could end up the same way.

Yesterday was probably the first day in a little over a week that I've hung out with anybody outside of class. I went to Parkside restaurant with Jourdan, and I also hung out with her later on in her apartment. We were both doing homework, so it wasn't really exciting or anything, but it was nice just not to be alone. I don't expect to do anything big this weekend because I have a midterm in POSC 130 on Thursday to study for and I need to get some research and prewriting done by Friday for my third assignment in WRIT 140. My second assignment for my Writing class got a C/C+, whatever that means. I forgot to post it in here. Maybe I will soon. Oh well. I figure it's just too hard to get good grades in my GE's, so I'll let my other classes make up for it. This next essay should be more interesting for me because it's about restrictions on the Internet. I'm going to cover net neutrality, I think. I should get a lot of work done as soon as I can on that because my brother might come visit sometime within the next two weeks because his term is almost over.

I talk online with Niki like, every night. I enjoy it, because I don't keep much contact with anyone else from back home. I wish I talked to more people. That's partly my fault too, though, because I don't make many efforts to get in contact with them. Niki really wants Chris and Dallas to help pay his debts to his mom and Sarah. I asked Chris about it the other day and he said he might just do it gradually by paying for little things like meals and movies. That may be a way of paying Niki, but it doesn't do much to pay the people Niki owes, who really should get the money. Even with the way Chris talked about dealing with it, it didn't seem like he meant it, because he expected Niki to pay him back money that he spent on Maricella's birthday party last week.

I'm out of things to talk about. Sorry most of this is just facts, and not really thoughts. Hopefully I can write more about how I feel about things when I get some more time to think.

Have fun
Vaniah Schwenoha

No comments: